Café Ceàrdach is a community run and owned venture. It is run by a trading arm under the auspices of local anchor organisation & charity, Lochcarron Community Development Company. You can read lots more about LCDC’s aims, objectives and history of delivering successful community projects here.
The Café is situated at the established ‘Smithy Hub’ between Strathcarron and Lochcarron, the site has two independent crafts business tenants, a treehouse venue for hire, short wooded walk, willow dome, office & Car park, what was missing was somewhere to eat and drink on site. The community group had run a visitor information center and local crafts shop out of the previous building, but local & visitor demand lead to fundraising efforts and work commenced in conversion of the retail space into a Café in the spring of 2019. The Some more of the background to this unique project can be found here.
There are more photos recording the build progress Here. The architect was William MacDonald and the building work was overseen by Fraser MacKintosh Joinery.
- It has internal and external seating.
- a stunning view
- public wifi,
- phone charge points,
- a water bottle refilling facility.
- It has unisex disabled toilets
- baby changing facilities.
- A Bicycle secure store.
- a herb garden supplying herbs for the food and fresh flowers for the tables.
- car park with disabled parking spaces
- dogs are welcome
- community notice board
- a well stocked deli counter with locally sourced food.
- Local crafts & eco products retail space
- Local artists display
- Car electric charge points to follow
- visitor information
- and much more !
Many thanks to our funders who have made this exciting project possible.